Well, 2011 is almost over, and from a ham radio perspective, it was a so-so year for me. I didn't operate nearly as much as I wanted to, but did get to have some cool contacts with some of my 'virtual' friends likeand . With that said, I'm also not a big fan of 'resolutions'. Resolutions just seem destined to be broken. I prefer to set goals, which I can track throughout the year. I didn't set an specific radio-related goals in 2011, but the photography ones I set really focused me. So much so that here is my inaugural list of radio focused goals in 2012. I welcome thoughts, feedback, and even a sample of some of your radio goals...
1) Operate more CW - not just operate, but increase my code speed to back about 20 wpm. I know I can do it, I just have to force myself...
2) Operate in two contests - sounds simple enough, and it should be, but between work and family, this may be more challenging than even I think
3) Continue to build 'stuff' - this includes finishing up a working copy of a CC-20, my Willamette rig (designed by for a QRP-L Project years ago), and the various Softrock kits I've accumulated
4) Rebuild my radio room
- I intended to do this in 2011, but never got started. It served a
purpose for a few years, but really needs a better layout for it to be
5) Start to operate the digital modes - I know,
should be another slam dunk, but I've had my RigBlaster for years, yet
never connected it up. Need to change that and play with PSK, JT65, and
other digital modes
6) Complete WAS and DXCC - how can a ham
that's been licensed for 25 years this spring not have those? Well, I
do, sort of. I never applied for the wallpaper, but have the logs and
cards to show it.To make this hobby more 'fun', I decided to start over
on January 1, 2010. Since then, I haven't operated much, but plan to
change that this year...
7) Setup and use LoTW - really, I've
never set it up. Maybe because I only have about 60 contacts in my log
in the last 2 years. But after seeing the efforts of folks like W5DLD,
I really think I need to do this. Soon...
8) Work more special event stations - every month, I look at the listings of special event stations and think 'Cool!'. But then I do nothing. And hearing talk about SOTA has piqued my interest
9) Start blogging
- I've wanted to start a radio focused blog for years, but plan to get
that launched soon. I hope to post a bit about all the various aspects
of this hobby that I dabble into...
That's it, 9 short goals. I
will post how I'm doing in a couple months. Hopefully, so of these will
be well on their way to completion...